Groups Sharing (1)
The main ideas and reflections about the Introduction and the name of the Spirit – RUAH Theology of Charism: Introduction
- Holy Spirit is the inspiration for the every founder to begin the different congregations with his Mission
- Founder is not alone who starts but there is a community besides them.
- The Golden circle explains that the Charism is not ‘what’ and ‘How’ we do but it’s always “Why” do and believe in challenging the status.
- RUAH the word for Spirit in Hebrew Bible which is “Wind, strength of life, God’s power of Life,” through which He operates and makes operate.
- The Spirit is always energy of life, the real spirit is inside of the body, and there is union of Spirit and Body. We are resurrected along with our body.
- RUAH is not something without Body but it is portrayed feminine substantive but at times it is used as Masculine. When the Spirit is in masculine it is Violent and destructive.
- The essence of Spirit is not become immaterial but to be animated by the Holy Spirit.
- Charism is not what I do, but why I do and how I do?
- Charisms of all the Congregations are different but inspired by the Same Spirit, and we reach at the certain moment of time that each Charism seems to be one and the same.
- Holy Spirit is the living memory of Jesus Christ.
- If I am creative, it is a sign that the Spirit is in me.
- Ruah is not silent; it is violent when it is masculine.
- If I am passive and obedience to the superior always, it is not sign of Holy Spirit existence. The person who lives in Spirit is revolutionary.
- Our spirituality is not to be silent, but to give voice. Eg. Mary meeting Elizabeth
- Strength of life in the human being, principle of life and the sea of knowledge and feeling are the meaning and presence of the Spirit.
- As we saw the different picture in the beginning, it was attractive as well as meaningful and interconnected with the theme. It reminded us the charism of our congregation and the covenant of God which he has made.
- In the introduction we saw the Golden circle – when we speak about our charism immediately it comes into our mind only the external things what we do, and we try to attract people by saying so many things or how we are working. But we forget why we do.
- When we speak about founder we focus only on our founder we forget how and why they started, from where they got the inspiration. Today finally we come to an understanding that Holy Spirit is an authentic founder through whom our founder and Foundress were inspired.
- Then we saw the meaning of the Holy Spirit. The word Holy Spirit means Ruah– power, strength, wind, when we have the sprit our life itself transforms.
- Here I send the things that we have discussed in the morning class. We focus on the ministry than focusing on the core of the Charism. We often tend to forget the real spirit of our Charism and concentrate on the various ministries that we accomplish. Secondly most of the time we get deviated from the vision of our Foundresses by which they began the congregation.
- Classes are enriching so much specially each one consecrated person is invited to connect with the spirit of God, be aware of that my body is God’s dwelling place and I must acknowledge the holy spirit in my actions and words .
- The Holy Spirit produces different fruits through the different charisms of the different congregation.
- Charism is a gift of the holy spirit
- Charism is a leading factors for all of us to upgrade our lives through the power of the holy spirit in our congregations
- Holy Spirit is mysterious only can be felt and experienced but cannot be seen.
- The name of the spirit
- The word ruah appears 398 times in the Hebrew Old Testament.
- The power of the spirit is given more important in the bible
- The spirit of God is more creative and also destructive. Wind, fire, water etc.
- Ruah is a feminine substantive, but at times it is used as masculine. This is a new learning for us.
- The spirit has the irresistible power that transforms the entire universe.
- The Spirit is a creative inspiration for carrying out an artistic work.
Groups Sharing (2): Old and New Testament
Groups Sharing (3): On Charisms
Holy Family Brothers (FSF)
1. Is your Founder charismatic leader?
Yes, he is a charismatic leader in the mission of catechesis and liturgical animation and in education and youth animation. He was also paying attention to the signs of the time to promote Christian faith to the Church.
2. Who is the person in your congregation in whom you can see the traits of a founder?
We have brothers from our institute having same inspiration and spirit of founder, such as Bro. Theodoro, Bro. John Andrews Martos, Bro. David Resero Gracia, Bro. Justo Rubio. Who are being the example of their inspirations and living our charism and spirituality of our Congregation.
3. How do you describe the charism your congregation has received from the Holy Spirit?
The Charism of the Congregation is a gift of the Holy Spirit given in origin to Brother Gabriel Taborin which is prolonged through time.
It is expressed in four elements:
- Identity Its members are Religious who, responding to the Father’s call, and moved by the Holy Spirit, consecrate their lives to God in the Church according to the charism of the Institute.
- Spirituality The Holy Family gives its name to the Institute and inspires the spirituality of the Brothers. The life of Jesus, Mary and Joseph, forming a family, will always be their reference point. The Brothers learn to meditate and to live the Gospel in the light of the mystery of Nazareth; there, Jesus began to accomplish what he would preach later. This Nazarene spirituality will motivate their whole lives.
- Spirit The Brothers contribute to carry out the plan of salvation through the characteristic spirit of the Institute, which is the family spirit. This spirit comes from the vital bonds that united the members of the Holy Family and whose source is the Holy Trinity. The family spirit, vital core of the spirituality of the Brothers, motivates the relationships among them. It marks their style of action, guides them in their mission among men, characterizes their educational work and strengthens the bonds of human solidarity wherever they are sent.
- Mission The Institute of the Brothers of the Holy Family participates in the mission of the Church in order to build up the Kingdom of God in the world. They participate in its pastoral work mainly by means of Christian education, catechesis and liturgical animation. According to the Founder’s desire, the Institute remains available for the apostolic tasks that needs of the time and place could demand.
Sisters of Charity of St. Jeanne Antide Thouret
- 1. Is our foundress a charismatic leader?
Of course, our foundress was a charismatic leader. The unique and beautiful life history of her, with so many narratives prove that she was the person totally and constantly led by the Holy Spirit. I found nowhere that she did something by herself. In everything she confide with the Spirit, because her only motto was constantly in search of God’s will and do it. Also she shared the received charism with thousands of people in so many countries.
2. Who is the person in our congregation, in whom I can see the traits of foundress?
In the present, Superior Sr. Maria Rita, I can see the traits of foundress. She is the person who always search for the will of God. Also try to do her best for each and every sister of our community. One can find that the Spirit works in her. She is the lover of communion and peace. Her mercy and compassion is great that she forgives and embrace the great wrong doer. She respects and give due dignity to the person. She is so creative in all her doing. Truly I admire and love her so much.
3. How can describe the charism of our congregation received by the Holy Spirit?
Our charism was originated at the context of French Revolution (1789-1799). So many people were affected by different problems such as sickness, wounds, physical poverty, emotional poverty, spiritual poverty, moral poverty…etc. In this situation the Holy Spirit could not keep quite. She has to move to alleviate the problems. This movement of Spirit felt by our foundress. So, committed herself totally to alleviate the various problems of the people in collaborating with the Holy Spirit. This is the proof that our charism has derived from the Holy Spirit. Because as Father has explained, charism is not something what we do? Rather why I do? And this fact I found in my foundress.
Thank You so much
Ursulien Franciscan Sisters (UFS)
Sr. Felcita D’ Souza
1. Is your Founder or your Foundress a charismatic leader?
Yes the founder of Ursuline Franciscan Congregation is a charismatic leader.
Fr.Urban Stein SJ had turned thirty-four when he was made parish priest. Going round his parish and studying the state of affairs he did not have to wait long to realize that the neglect of spiritual life was the fountainhead of the evil in the parish. Day in and day out, using any means of contact at his disposal, he underscored the indispensability of the frequentation of the sacraments. Fr Stein’s love of the Eucharist was so infectious that his flock responded with almost equal fervor. In a short period of time he brought about such a spiritual revival in his parish that it spread to other neighbouring parishes too.
2. Who is the person in your congregation in whom you can see the traits of a Founder?
The persons in my congregation that I can see the traits of a founder are:
• Pioneers of my congregation
• Pioneers to the new mission land
• Superior Generals
• Some of the members of the congregation who are women of great spirituality and simplicity
3. How do you describe charism of your congregation has received from the Holy Spirit?
• Our Founder Fr.Urban Stein SJ had a flock in his vast parish, with its multiple needs which must be attended to as effectively and expeditiously as possible. He needed others to join hands with him in this great task. There were a number of young Catholic ladies who on one hand unprepared to enter marital life and on the other unwilling for good reasons to enter a convent. It is to these he turned for help. His mind went back to his native city Cologne and the good work the Ursulines had been doing there. Fr Urban Stein wanted a similar association of dedicated women in Mangalore for the pastoral needs of the local Church. He discerned the charism of the Spirit in those young women who offered themselves to help him in his pastoral ministry. Given his own Jesuit background which is apostolic through and through he started a pious association of ladies in the spirit of the Ursulines on Easter April 10, 1887.
• The charism of the Congregation impels us to launch deeper into the life of the people solely for the love of God in simplicity of life, to proclaim the message of the fullness of life of God’s Kingdom. We try to remain faithful to the Charism of our Congregation with creative fidelity adapting ourselves to the changing situations reading the signs of the time.
• Our prayer that rooted in God’s love and life lived in communion in our communities help us to become joyful witnesses. We involve ourselves in the mission of Jesus through faith formation, Pastoral service, education, Social Service, Health care, Counselling and care of the children in Children’s home. Emphasis is laid to empowering the women, children, and marginalized.